Embarrassment moment here: I just figured out what the term "Library 2.0" means. (I'm trying to figure out if that means I'm dense, or just focused on the mechanics of my work in libraries -- neither of which is necessarily a good thing.)
My old world of physically filing cataloging cards, and a library full of print resources (1.0) has made way for a blend of physical and virtual (2.0) and beyond. I think I can comfortably bin the Reference Resources notebook (100 print reference titles annotated) I had to create in Library School a mere 13 years ago.
I see Rick Anderson's points at work in my library branch (for both good and ill). Parts of our collection definitely reflect the "just in case" mentality that is being challenged on a regular basis by our collection liaison. Yet, on the other end of the coin, we are moving more and more into the "bring 'us' to 'them'" realm with our roving models in house and our database access from anywhere.
I've been out of the cataloging mode for a number of years, so I have to admit that I did not completely grasp most of the points made by Chip Nilges in his article, but I did think that OCLC's Open WorldCat would be a great way to facilitate one of John Riemer's points - "Expand[ed] Delivery [of materials and resources]. Our catalog already tells us what every branch in our library system owns. But what if all the library systems in the state had compatible bibliographic search features and we could tell a patron exactly which non-system library might have what they need without having to log into and out of multiply library web sites.
Michael Stephens also had some practical advise for those of us embracing becoming a 2.0 Library: no tech for tech's sake; good with fast; and, in answer to the frustrations of many library colleagues -- input from and training for both the public AND the staff.
Wow, this one felt like a library school homework assignment! The article I wrote for a library related journal 11 years ago regarding whether or not there was going to be a future for librarians is VERY MOOT now!
Scrapbooking Search Engine
Sunday, June 24, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment