Scrapbooking Search Engine

Sunday, June 17, 2007

MySpace Watch Out

Look out social networking; I have joined the world of "MySpace". Now I have to find some friends to fritter my time away with.

Since I went through the 3 Social Networking lessons back to back, I'm going to combine my thoughts about all 3 lessons into one blog entry...

I remember when the Internet was a new library toy (or tool, depending on how it was used.) One of the first library-related web sites I used to visit regularly was IPL (The Internet Public Library) because it was fun to wander through the various "rooms", ask the "reference librarian" questions when I got stuck, and sit and chat with other visitors when I had time. I get the feeling that today's social networking sites are similar in purpose (although vastly advanced in execution).
There were some wonderful issues raised among the comments on the LiB blog regarding whether or not libraries belong on social networking sites. My favorite comments mirror my own opinion -- members of these online communities choose to whom to interact with; if libraries are relevant to their world (i.e. if we in the library community can make ourselves relevant to them) we will find a place; if not, we have each other to chat with.
MySpace was simple to sign up for, and there are some interesting ways to make it personal. I'm attending a high school reunion this summer; it will be interesting to see how many of my peers have discovered this phenomenon. Time to go find some friends. (I wonder if my nephew will be my friend?)

No comments: